Saturday, September 1, 2012

PLDT Modem

You learn something new everyday!PLDT Modem Conquered!




I was at one of our company's new branch to setup the system there. DSL was already installed around 6 months before but hasn't been used since opening of the branch was delayed. When I got there I expected to plug the DSL directly and would get connected, but instead they handed me the DSL box (literally, the box)--it hasn't been configured yet. So I plugged the DSL to the computer (LAN-to-LAN) and the computer could not get an IP from the DHCP Server.

My First Mistake: I first checked the wiring even when I knew nothing was wrong with it. Initial diagnostics of a PLDT DSL ZyXel P-600 would tell you to check all light indicators first. And all were good but I didn't pay attention to that and did the wiring check first. Big mistake! Power was okay, Ethernet was okay (thus nothing wrong with the connection from modem to computer) and DSL was okay (thus line was good). If you do encounter an all green all okay connection, thus you should first check modem then the computer configurations for any problems.

Note: PLDT ZyXel P-600 modem's Ethernet light is color GREEN when wires are connected but LAN card is disabled and ORANGE if wired and connected.

Going back to the challenge, I need to connect to the modem's web interface to make the configuration but could not get an IP from the DHCP Server. After consulting with our friend Mr. Google I read from a blog that I needed to manually assign a local IP first to get in to the modem. So I did and it worked!


  • IPv4: 192.168.1.33
  • Subnet: 252.255.255.0
The problem was that by DEFUALT the DHCP Server in the modem is disabled.

Note #2: After you get in the router and activate the DHCP Server you need to set your LAN's IP back to obtain.

Since I'm already in the web interface I have two options which to proceed with the activation.
  1. Create a new PPPoE connection from the Network and Sharing Center (Win7). I don't recommend this if you want to be connected  24x7 since you have to manually connect every time the computer boots.
  2. Set the modem from Bridge mode to Router and setup the PPPoE settings there.
On Option-2:

Benefits:
  • Connection is always on.
  • You can distribute connection. Either wired or wireless.
    • If using another Router set IP to Dynamic (obtain).
How?
  • (Your done already setting up your DHCP Server and you can already access the web interface)
  • Go to Network > WAN
    • Change mode to Routing (from Bridge)
    • Change Encapsulation to PPPoE and enter your PPPoE Username and Password (which are your PLDT account's telephone # w/o the zero in the start of the area code and your Account # as Username and Password, respectively)
    • Check Nailed up Connection (not Connect on Demand)
    • (IP Address should be obtain)
  • Go to Network > NAT (NAT Setup)
    • Check Active Network Address Translation
      • Select "SUA Only"
  • Apply changes and reboot (or power off/on Zyxel)
If everything works perfectly then your Modem would already be connected.

Final notes:
  • After activating DHCP Server don't forget to indicate IP Pool Starting Address (192.168.1.100). You also need to indicate Pool Size (32) and Primary and Secondary DNS Server. For me I used the default PLDT DNS and "8.8.8.8" as secondary (free DNS Server from google).
  • On the first problem, Modem's DHCP was down. How come it worked when I assigned a local IP? The answer is becuase 1) The default gateway of the Model is 192.168.1.1 and I locally assigned 192.168.1.33 to my computer making them members of the subnet group. Even without a DHCP Server as long as they are in the same family they will see each other.
  • If you want to do a hard reset there is one at the back near the power switch.
    • To reset simply long-press the reset button for 10 seconds or until lights starts blinking.

1 comment: